Skip to main content

Memorial University of Newfoundland - Digital Archives Initiative

Newfoundland Newspapers

The search box above will search all of the newspapers in the alphabetical list below.
The search box below will search the newspapers in the alphabetical list below PLUS these newspapers:

The Colonist, The Daily News, The Daily Star, The Evening Advocate, The Evening Herald, The Harbor Grace Standard, The Morning Courier, The Patriot And Terra-Nova Herald, The St. John's Daily News, The Telegram, The Terra Nova Advocate, The Twillingate Sun, The Western Star

Caution Full-text search results depend on the quality of an item's digital transcripts. Optical Character Recognition (OCR) can be excellent for modern typefaces but it has difficulty 'reading' handwriting, pale type and old-style lettering as many of our items have, and so your search results may not accurately reflect actual content. Please bear this in mind when undertaking research on the DAI.

Note: Descriptions of all newspapers came from Suzanne Ellison's Historical Directory of Newfoundland and Labrador Newspapers (http://www.library.mun.ca/cns/nlnews/)
Note: This is only a small selection of newspapers from the Centre for Newfoundland Studies ; many more remain to be digitized. For more information, inquire at cnsqeii@mun.ca

Browse by Newspaper Title:

Banner of Temperance.. Earliest issue located Jan. 18, 1851, last issue located Dec. 20, 1851.
Issues on the DAI: Jan. 18, 1851 - Dec. 6, 1851 (12 issues)
Printed from the office of the Public Ledger, the Banner of Temperance devoted itself to the cause indicated by its title. It contained advice for teetotalers, tragic stories of the effects of liquor, original poetry on the subject and statistics on drunkenness in St. John's and other places. The paper was especially opposed to the liquor trade-- "It stands forth prominent as an incubus which weighs upon and stifles the better and more moral feelings of men, clinging to its human food with a pertinacity and determination fiendish in the extreme ..." (Apr. 26, 1851). Although the activities of the Sons of Temperance of Newfoundland featured prominently in its pages, the editor denied there being any connection between that organization and his paper.

The Carbonear Herald and Outport Telephone. Began publication May 22, 1879, last issue located Aug. 26, 1882.
Issues on the DAI: May 22, 1879 - Aug. 26, 1882 (125 issues)
Title varies:
Carbonear Herald and Outport Telephone, May 22, 1879 - Feb. 22, 1882 (120 issues)
Carbonear Herald and Railroad Journal, Mar. 17- Aug. 26, 1882 (5 issues)
The Carbonear Herald carried domestic and foreign news, fishing and shipping news, legislative proceedings, religious news, advertisements, serial fiction and poetry. Although it said it would be "giving independent and generous support to the government", the editorials were mainly concerned with development of the colony and analysis of foreign affairs. The Herald was an enthusiastic supporter of the railway, roads, education, fire organizations, public improvements and home industry.

The Conception-Bay Man. Began publication Sep. 3, 1856, last issue located Feb. 16, 1859.
Issues on the DAI: Sept. 3, 1856 - Feb 16, 1859 (100 issues)
The Conception-Bay Man published foreign and domestic news, shipping news, poetry, literature and advertisements. The paper described its role as follows, "It matters not whether the government be in the hands of Whigs or Tories, Liberals or Conservatives, all are subject to venality and all require the constant supervision of an independent and uncompromising public press" (May 6, 1857). Liberal in outlook itself, the paper had little use for the "self styled Liberals" in the Little government whom it saw as complacent, free-spending, corrupt and ineffective. The editor took a dim view of their programs for free trade, direct steam communication and the telegraph, but was proud to be the first paper to record the completion of the Transatlantic Cable in 1858.

The Confederate. Dates of publication: April 7 - July 16, 1948.
Issues on the DAI: Volume 1 No's 1-14 April 7 - July 16, 1948 (14 issues)
As its title implies, the Confederate devoted itself strictly to supporting Confederation with Canada immediately prior to the referendum on that matter. For the opposite viewpoint, see the Independent. The paper was registered by J. R. Smallwood under the name of F. Gordon Bradley. The editor, G. J. Power, became Smallwood's administrative assistant after Confederation.

The Daily Globe. Began publication Dec. 16, 1924, last issue located June 5, 1926.
Issues on the DAI: Dec. 16, 1924 - June 5, 1926 (298 issues)
The Daily Globe printed local and foreign news, sports and advertisements, and claimed to be the first paper in Newfoundland to publish in colour. Editorially, the Daily Globe was "opposed politically from the first page of this and every subsequent issue to the last, to the Monroe administration and supports cheerfully and wholeheartedly the Liberal Party in Newfoundland (Dec. 16, 1924)."

The Daily Tribune. Began publication Nov. 4, 1892, last issue located Dec 30, 1893.
Issues on the DAI: Nov. 4, 1892 - Dec 30, 1893 (277 issues)
Title varies:
Daily Tribune. Nov. 4, 1892 - Dec. 2, 1893; (272 issues)
Tribune. Dec. 6-30, 1893. (5 issues)
The Tribune published domestic and foreign news, court proceedings, fishing and shipping news, serial fiction, advertisements and other features. While not outspokenly Catholic, it offered extensive coverage of Catholic news. TheTribune opposed Confederation and, although a supporter of Whiteway, was concerned about the cost of railway extension. Published during the period of rebuilding St. John's after the Great Fire, the editorials discussed this topic in detail.

The Enterprise. Dates of publication: Oct. 21, 1896 - Nov. 3, 1897.
Issues on the DAI: Oct. 21, 1896 - Nov. 3, 1897 (103 issues)
The Enterprise was a heavily illustrated paper that offered many cartoons and engravings of Newfoundland scenes, as well as local and foreign news, serial fiction, music, and advertisements. The publication proportedly "was not entered upon through any political expediency, but purely as a business venture" (Oct. 21, 1896) by John Furneaux, who was also published the Evening Mercury during the same time period. The editorials were progressive, supporting fisheries, economic and tax reforms. The Enterprise discontinued publication after a year because of "not having received the support anticipated" (Nov. 3, 1897).

Fishermen's Advocate. Dates of publication: Feb. 12, 1910 - May 22, 1980.
Issues on the DAI: 1910, 1912, 1913 (5 issues)
The Fishermen's Advocate is a newspaper of the Fishermen's Protective Union.

The Independent. Dates of publication: Mar. 22 - July 15, 1948.
Issues on the DAI: Volume 1 No's 1-14 Mar. 22 - July 15, 1948 (14 issues)
The Independent was committed entirely to supporting the Responsible Government side in the debate prior to the referendum on Confederation.

The Mercury And General Advertiser. Began publication Feb. 3, 1846, last issue located Oct. 15, 1846.
Issues on the DAI: Feb 3, 1846 - Oct. 15, 1846 (28 issues)
The Mercury and General Advertiser published local, domestic and foreign news, poetry, "tales of an interesting and moral character", legislative proceedings, shipping and fishing news, letters, and advertisements. The editorials were politically neutral supporting temperance and the establishment of Carbonear as a free port.

Morning Advertiser and Shipping Gazette. Began publication Sep. 21, 1844, last issue located Apr. 26, 1845.
Issues on the DAI: Sept. 21, 1844 - April 26, 1845 (109 issues)
The Morning Advertiser contained news and other items extracted from foreign journals, local news, legislative proceedings, shipping lists, public notices, poetry, fiction and advertisements. No editorial commentary was included in its pages.

Morning Despatch. Began publication July 13, 1892, last issue located Aug. 22, 1892.
Issues on the DAI: July 13, 1892 - Aug. 22, 1892 (32 issues)
The Morning dispatch was published "from the office on M. Monroe's wharf" apparently on the same press used for the defunct Mosquito. Commencing a few days after the Great Fire of 1892, it at first consisted entirely of advertisements and information about the fire. Later issues included domestic and foreign news and editorials. It was officially registered under the title Phoenix, but, the published explained, "The Morning Despatch is not called so by choice, but perforce, as there is not suitable type enough in town to print any other name. It will not necessarily be printed in the morning, but when it can be and editions will be issued at all hours of the day "(July 13, 1892). During its short existence, the Morning Despatch took a pro-Confederation stance.

The Morning Herald Earliest issue located Nov. 28, 1879 (no.8), last issue located Feb. 21, 1880.
Issues on the DAI: Nov. 28, 1879 - Feb. 21, 1880 (54 issues)
The Morning Herald contained foreign and domestic news, fiction, poetry, advertisements, public notices and thoughtful editorials. A typical example was an editorial of Nov. 28, 1879 which called for two lockups for prisoners awaiting trial, one on each end of the city, instead of only one. "Often we have seen hundreds of persons following one prisoner for nearly a mile, and he, probably, degraded through the mud or slob for half that distance."

The Newfoundland Commercial Journal. Dates of publication: 1855? - 1892?
Issues on the DAI: June 22, 1881 - Dec. 8, 1885 (69 issues)
The Newfoundland Commercial Journal was a single sheet newspaper printed on both sides. It published shipping intelligence (i.e. ship arrivals and departures), tables of import and export statistics, fishery news, exchange rates, and advertisements. It is listed in the Canadian Newspaper Directory until 1892.

Newfoundland Mercantile Journal. Earliest issue located Sept. 11, 1816 (no. 108), last issue located June 7, 1827.
Issues on the DAI: Sept. 11, 1816 - June 7, 1827 (376 issues)
The Newfoundland Mercantile Journal was made up almost entirely of material selected from the foreign press, advertisements, official and legal notices, and shipping news. Domestic news, including death notices, rarely filled more than half a column and dealt mainly with the activities of prominent citizens, accidents and fires. The Nov. 23, 1816 edition expressed concern over the problems of the coming winter in light of the severe poverty in the city. The Jan. 3, 1822 issue pondered the poor state of the economy, but even this sort of editorial comment was rare and problems of the Colony were given much less attention than were events abroad.

The Newfoundland Vindicator. Began publication Jan. 2, 1841, last issue located May 14, 1842.
Issues on the DAI: Jan. 2, 1841 - May 14, 1842 (69 issues)
The Newfoundland Vindicator contained local and foreign news with special attention to Irish news, proceedings of the superior courts and courts of session, abstracts of Legislative discussions, and advertisements. A great amount of space was devoted to the discussion of the violence which took place in the recent Conception Bay elections, an issue over which the Vindicator was at odds with the Patriot. The Vindicator at first had columns covering "Catholic Intelligence" and "Protestant Intelligence", but the Protestant column was soon dropped. The Vindicator opposed both the Times and the Public Ledger. Beck and John Kent, who often wrote for the paper, were fined for libeling the editor of the Ledger in June of 1841. A lengthy, bitter, but vague, article was published upon the retirement of Governor Prescott in May of the same year.

The Newfoundland Weekly.
Title varies: (432 Issues)
Newfoundland Weekly. (Boston) Began publication Jul. 19, 1924, last issue located Jan. 9, 1932.
Issues on the DAI: July. 19, 1924 – Jan. 9, 1932 (390 Issues)
The Newfoundland Weekly was published for the large Newfoundland community in the Boston area and carried news of local interest as well as extensive reprints from Newfoundland newspapers.

The Newfoundland Times. (New York) Sept. 6, 1941 - Dec. 20, 1941.
Issues on the DAI: Sept. 6, 1941 – Dec. 20, 1941. (8 issues)

A Newfoundland news digest for U. S. Newfoundlanders" this paper was a successor to the Newfoundland Weekly previously published in Boston.

The Newfoundland Weekly. (New York) Dec. 7, 1940 - Aug. 23, 1941.
Issues on the DAI: Dec. 7, 1940 - Aug. 23, 1941. (34 issues)

A Newfoundland news digest for U. S. Newfoundlanders" this paper was a successor to the Newfoundland Weekly previously published in Boston.

The Newfoundlander. Began publication Oct. 6, 1934, last issue located Dec. 20, 1934.
Issues on the DAI: Oct. 6, 1934 - Dec. 20, 1934. (10 issues)
The Newfoundlander was totally "dedicated to the restoration of self-Government" and devoted itself to attacking the Commission of Government and Prime Minister Alderdice. Not surprisingly, it received no government advertising and, by November, announced that the government was threatening to withhold government patronage from firms advertising in the journal. The paper apparently folded after three months.

Our Country. Dates of publication: Aug. 25, 1883 - May 14, 1885.
Issues on the DAI: Aug. 25, 1883 - May 14, 1885 (152 Issues)
Our Country contained local and foreign news, proceedings of the legislative assembly, advertisements, serial fiction and other features. Intended to take the place of the Public Ledger, it was an exponent of the Reform Party and opposed the Whiteway administration, particularly in reference to the matter of the railway. It suspended publication from May 1884 to April 1885. It resumed publication for a short time, during which it was entirely devoted to the official report of the Legislative proceedings.

The Plaindealer. Dates of publication: 1907 – June 1922.
Issues on the DAI: June 1907 – Aug. 16, 1921. (29 Issues)
The Plaindealer was a Catholic publication that published foreign news with a concentration on Irish affairs, pastoral letters, humor, short stories and editorials. W. F. Coaker, founder of the Fishermen's Protective Union, published articles in the Plaindealer in 1908 prior to founding the union's own newspaper, the Fishermen's Advocate. The Plaindealer became a rival of that paper and opposed Coaker and the Lloyd government. The paper opposed Edward Morris and later supported Bond, Cashin and Crosbie.

The Record. Earliest issue located Jan. 18, 1862 (V. 2, No. 14), last issue located Dec. 29, 1863.
Issues on the DAI: Jan. 18, 1862 - Dec. 29, 1863 (94 Issues)
The Record published local news, "Catholic Intelligence", foreign news, legislative proceedings, serial fiction, advertisements and government notices. It opposed the Hoyles-Bannerman government and was ultra-Liberal and Catholic to such an extent it was referred to as "Dr. (i.e. Bishop) Mullock's organ" in the Newfoundland Express (May 23, 1861). On that occasion, the Record had made light of Catholic riots and looting which took in Harbour Main, treating them as harmless fun.

The Register. Earliest issue located Sept. 17, 1880 (V.1, No. 2), last issue located Dec. 16, 1880.
Issues on the DAI: Sept. 17, 1880 - Dec. 16, 1880 (70 Issues)
The Register published foreign and domestic news, government notices, advertisements and other features. Although it claimed to be "an independent journal written by independent men for an independent public", it supported the Liberal Party and contained a high concentration of Catholic and Irish news. Owned by a company of twelve unnamed stockholders, it denied being an organ of the government.

The Reporter. Earliest issue located Jan. 31, 1856, last issue located Dec. 25, 1856.
Issues on the DAI: Jan. 31, 1856 - Dec. 25, 1856 (47 Issues)
Printed at the offices of the Patriot, the Reporter was originally intended to serve as a vehicle for the publication of legislative proceedings but also published editorials, foreign and domestic news, poetry, advertisements and other features. Liberal in viewpoint, it disliked the Tories, but more frequently beleaguered the Liberal Party, which it felt to be controlled by family compacts and family monopolies, singling out Philip Little in particular. The Reporter was especially bitter about being forced to share the publication of the legislative proceedings with the likes of the Public Ledger and the Express.

Sentinel and Conception Bay Advertiser. Dates of publication: Oct. 27, 1836- Oct. 30, 1845.
Issues on the DAI: Oct. 27, 1836- Oct. 30, 1845 (186 Issues)
Title varies:
Sentinel and Conception Bay Advertiser. Oct 27, 1836 – Jul 20, 1837 and Dec 13, 1838 - Nov 19, 1844. (148 issues)
The Carbonear Sentinel and Conception Bay Advertiser. July 27, 1837 - Nov. 29, 1838. (26 issues)
The Sentinel. Mar. 13, 1845 - Oct. 30, 1845. (12 Issues)
The Sentinel published domestic and foreign news, shipping news, legislative proceedings, poetry, serial fiction and letters to the editor. The prospectus promised the paper would promote the interests of the mercantile community and maintain a commercial point of view, but the Sentinel was politically independent in most matters and moderately Liberal in outlook. It supported the temperance movement and published news of all religious denominations. In 1840, the paper caused a minor stir by endorsing James Douglas over Lawrence O'Brien in a controversial St. John's election. Spry closed the Sentinel down in October 1845 and started the Mercury and General Advertiser three months later.

The Star and Conception Bay Weekly Reporter. Earliest issue located Feb. 4, 1874 (V. 2, No. 2), last issue located May 6, 1875.
Issues on the DAI: Feb. 4, 1874 - May 6, 1875 (39 Issues)
The Star and Conception Bay Weekly Reporter seems to be the successor to the Star and Conception Bay Semi-weekly Advertiser although A. A. Parsons was no longer involved in it. It had the same content as the earlier publication and was somewhat more outspoken politically, opposing the Carter administration and the railway.

The Star and Newfoundland Advocate. Earliest issue located Nov. 14, 1840 (V. 1, No. 2), last issue located Jan. 14, 1847.
Issues on the DAI: Nov. 14, 1840 - Jan. 14, 1847 (295 Issues)
The Star and Newfoundland Advocate printed foreign and local news, legislative proceedings, agricultural, fishing and shipping news, poetry, fiction and advertisements. The paper was Conservative and Protestant editorially and supported the mercantile class. Burton was previously involved in the Star and Conception Bay Journal and was later to become more political as proprietor of the Telegraph and Political Review.

St. John’s Free Press and Semiweekly Advertiser. Began publication Apr. 9, 1877, last issue located July 22, 1878.
Issues on the DAI: Apr. 9, 1877 - July 22, 1878 (83 Issues)
Title Varies:
The St. John's Free Press And Daily Advertiser. Apr. 9, 1877 - May 29, 1877 (37 Issues)
The St. John's Free Press And Semi-Weekly Advertiser. Jun. 11, 1877 - Jul. 22, 1878 (46 Issues)
The St. John's Free Press contained domestic and foreign news, shipping news, court proceedings, public notices, poetry and advertisements. The editorials encouraged the development of the colony's natural resources, supported the railway, and opposed Confederation.

The Vindicator and Brigus Reporter. Earliest issue located: May 4, 1898 (V. 1, No. 2), ceased publication Oct. 28, 1903.
Issues on the DAI: May 4, 1898 - Oct. 28, 1903 (14 Issues)
The Vindicator and Brigus Reporter was founded by Jabez Thompson, who also started the Twillingate Sun, when he was appointed to the magistracy and appointed to Brigus. It published local and foreign news, public notices, advertisements, poetry, serial fiction, humor, court reports, public notices and advertisements. While not extremely political, it supported the Liberal Party and Bond. In October 1903, the printing plant was sold to H. M. Mosdell, who intended to start the Newfoundland Outlook the following month.

The Weekly Express. Began publication Jan. 6, 1858, last issue located Dec. 27, 1859.
Issues on the DAI: Jan. 6, 1858 - Dec. 27, 1859 (102 Issues)
The Weekly Express had the same content and editorial policy and the Newfoundland Express

The Weekly Herald and Conception-Bay General Advertiser. Dates of publication: Nov. 2, 1842 – June 28, 1854.
Issues on the DAI: Jan. 1, 1845 - Jun. 28, 1854 (483 issues)
The Weekly Herald published local, domestic and foreign news, shipping and fisheries news, legislative proceedings, fiction, letters, and advertisements. St. John was a Wesleyan, but promised "to promote the interests of the community at large irrespective of their religious views or political differences" (June 28, 1845) and his paper remained politically independent and nonsectarian in its views. The paper deplored the conditions of poverty and starvation in the Colony and, although opposed to strikes, acknowledged that wages were too low. In 1854, the publisher closed the paper down and departed for the United States to start a semiweekly Journal there.

The Weekly News. Began publication Mar. 29, 1894, ceased publication June 1906.
Issues on the DAI: Mar. 29, 1894 – Dec. 6, 1894 (36 Issues)
The Weekly News was a weekly edition of the Daily News intended for readers outside St. John's. "Much that occurs in the city is of no interest in the Outports, and few men have either the time or inclination to wade through the columns of six, or may be twelve dailies at one sitting. What they require is the news in a digested and spicy form." (Feb. 15, 1894). The paper opposed Whiteway in the 1894 election.
The Weekly News was published until June 1903 when J. A. Robinson purchased the Daily News. Since Robinson was already publishing another weekly, the Free Press, he discontinued the Weekly News.



If you have a Newfoundland / Labrador question please contact the Centre for Newfoundland Studies at cnsqeii@mun.ca

Sponsor

Memorial University - Centre for Newfoundland Studies

Associated Website:

Centre for Newfoundland Studies

Select the collections to add or remove from your search
A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O
P
Q
R
S
T
U
V
W
X
Y
Z
 
OK